What would you most like to see in the next version?

Started by Stephen, February 14, 2010, 04:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you most like to see in the next version?

New quest types (capture the book, zombie survival, etc)
4 (33.3%)
Map Editor and/or new dungeon rooms
6 (50%)
CPU / Bot opponents to play against
2 (16.7%)
Support different input devices (PS/Xbox controllers etc)
0 (0%)
New potion/scroll effects
0 (0%)
New monster types
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Stephen

I thought it would be interesting to find out what people most want to see in the next version of Knights. (This is in addition to bug fixing, minor tweaks and so on, which will remain ongoing. Here I am thinking more about the "big picture" and major new features.)

Please vote for one of the above and/or leave your comments below.

Kester

Map editor is the option that makes Knights a web 2.0 application.

duke

Would be very GOOD if we could write own addons for the game (e.g. game modes or new monsters) with an independent script language like python or lua.

But for now, I voted for the map editor.

lukky513

Considering how hard is it to make these things...

1. New quest types - first thing, cause it's easiest to make:
- we have timelimit now, so game for frags may be a good choice
- survivor mode - kill/being turned to zombie ends game, last man still standing is the winner
and more, which I think we could borrow from common games like FPSes or so.
2. Map editor - quite important, but I don't think at most. I suppose that's medium difficulty, but timetaking.
3. AIs/bots - these would make single player more senseful :) but it also seems hardest thing, at least as for me.

And beside, adding new features (mostly items) could be nice, but I'd rather be careful about new monsters and "dungeon features", cause as for now the game seems fine when considering them.

EDIT: After few moments of thinking, I suppose that map editor and scenario editor could be a wonderful start for a single player campaign mode ;)

Stephen

Well, it seems pretty conclusive so far! I am halfway through working on a map editor at the moment, so it shouldn't be too hard to get that to a releasable state. Don't expect too much - it will be fairly basic to begin with - but it should get the job done for now.

I also like dukey's suggestion of allowing users to make their own addons. In the short term, this would mean making a simple map editor, while in the longer term, the goal would be to produce more tools, scripting language integration, etc. so that more and more of the game would become opened up for editing. Eventually, people would be able to create their own customized Knights servers where the maps, game modes available, and so on are different between each server. That would be quite cool :)

So, map editor for now... and then I'll think about what can be done regards scripting languages and so on.

K9

Sounds amazing Stephen, thank you - although I voted for quests, I like your current goals that lend themselves to more open architecture which ultimately spawns more new game styles and updates as you said.

If there's one suggestion that I would like implemented on the server side along the way, it's some form of solid anti-hacking/authenticity feature to avoid the fallacies of my past favorites Delta Force & Star Trek Armada.  The mods & maps unfortunately allowed open doors to the ruin of crashing, instability and awful cheating. 

Although Knights has a small faithful following now, when things heat up from your latest enhancements I just hope nobody else has the ability to taint the quality from all you've done.  Of course, that's an inherent risk, and probably worth taking, just wanted to put the thoughts out there as you're working in that direction now.

Thank you.

Rich

more players in next version :D thats something im sure we'd all like to see

Ushiri

I voted for new game rooms...I think eh... or editor..

Anyway I want a mode like the one in the old "Alien vs predator" game for pc.

converted to this in Knights:

1. Everyone starts as knights  (deathmatch mode), the first knight who is killed turns into a zombie.
   (also an extra zombie AI will appear next to the knight turned into a zombieplayer)
   ( For every new knight turned into a zombie there will be an additional zombie AI)

2. Then the zombieplayer has to kill the other knights, zombies can´t
    attack each other, friendly fire is on for knight players.

The player who wins the game is the last knight left.
------------------------------------------------------------
Idea 2   (allmost the same)
1. Everyone starts as knights  (deathmatch mode), the first knight who is killed turns into a zombie.

2. Then the zombieplayer has to kill the other knights, zombies can´t attack each other, friendly fire is
    on for knight players. (zombies respawn when killed)

The player who wins the game is the last knight left.

-----
Thank you Kalle Marjola for creating Knights and lots of love to
Stephen for making this xxcking awezome remake multiplayer

Ushiri

" Frankenzombie" game mode

1. Deathmatch from beginning with all
   knights, first knight that dies turns
   into "Frankensteins monster" (unbeatable zombie)

2. Frankensteins monster wins if all knights are killed.
   Knights win if the countdown is reached (timelimit)

* Knights can´t kill each other
* Knights cant die in traps, only 2 seconds freeze
* When Frankenzombie moves into trap he will freeze for 5seconds.
* Frankenzombie will be 10% faster than knights

I love my idea here... :)

Stephen

There is a map editor, but it's still in beta and I never really had time to finish it.
See blog posts here:
http://www.knightsgame.org.uk/blog/2010/03/10/knights-014-and-map-editor-001-released/
http://www.knightsgame.org.uk/blog/2010/03/23/map-editor-switches/

I think my next goal is to get the map editor finished properly, and add Lua scripting support. This would allow people to add their own rooms, quest types, and so on. Of course, this is going to be a fairly long project but it should be possible to get something done over the next few months...

Ushiri

Lua scripting, Very good, then you don´t have to do everything by
yourself, then there could be a nice modcommunity. I love the way this is going :)

Stephen

That's exactly the idea. As you've probably noticed I'm not exactly fast at doing things myself :) so getting help from the community is definitely the way forward.