News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

DNS Errors to Knightsgame.org.uk

Started by K9, September 17, 2013, 03:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9

Freaky!  Man, I was getting depressed the past few days..

I haven't been able to connect to the Knights site/forum/list/game over the past few days (including over the weekend for Moo & I regularly scheduled games).

Moo - just want you to know I'm sorry I couldn't get connected last weekend, didn't mean to leave you wondering (I thought I connected one time to server_list just before Saturday games, but then figured it must have been a locally cached version only by the way it acted afterward).

Anyway, I just couldn't suffer the loss, so I kept searching around for answers today:

I tried https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#   <-- using the #Knights for irc, just in case anyone would show (that site is working ok)  I hope everyone will use this IRC as a fallback in case nothing else is working, we can still communicate (well of course if IRC is still good).

Then, today I found a website that checks if other websites are working or if it's just 'me'.
It said everything was fine with knightsgame.org.uk so imagine my relief! 

I had in my mind that there's no way Stephen would just allow his site to go down without some notice or explanation, unless something bad happened to him, so I was dreading the thought :(

Well, obviously I connected here now, because I finally made it to the forum for this post, yeah!  The way I did so was bypassing the DNS name however and going to the direct pinged IP address (for anyone else that may have this problem some day).

I can get to the regular sites this way, however I'm seeing this message on server_list page (probably because of the reference to DNS name still out on my side):

This is a list of all public Knights servers currently running.

ERROR: Server list is not available at this time.

I just tested the game by using the direct IP and thankfully it appears to be working despite that message above - so MOO and anyone else listening - I'll be back next weekend!

Well, that's where I stand now (something freaky going on with USA internet DNS cross-referencing).

Thank you for listening.

Stephen

Hi,

I would like to apologize for the above problem. There was a technical problem with the DNS setup, which I have now fixed. Unfortunately this happened at a time when I was away for a week or so, and didn't have any internet access, so I have only just now managed to fix it.

Obviously I hope that something like this doesn't happen again... but if it does... please try not to panic too much :) Remember that I don't have the resources of a huge company here, it's just lil' ol' me, so sometimes it might take me a few days to fix things.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your patience while waiting for the fix. The main thing is that the site is back up and running now. Let the games continue :)