News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Knights on Raspberry Pi

Started by Newk, March 28, 2013, 12:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newk

Hello Knights!

I just managed to compile the game on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian (special Debian Linux)!  8)
The model that i own is a newer 512MB version with ethernet.
For more info on it check http://www.raspberrypi.org

I found it is pretty easy to make a debian/ubuntu package with the checkinstall command
i will see if i can upload it soon so we can get more people joining the games!

Looking forward testing it..

cheers!

Stephen

This is great news!

Let us know when it's ready. It might be worth me adding a link to it on the official Knights download page. The more download options people have, the better, probably :)

Thanks for doing this :)

Newk

You' re welcome! its the least i can do to support this game.. as i am almost no programmer.
(i am more creative with music and graffics)

I need to figure out how to exacly point out dependancies when someone installs the package..
i also need to know what licence i need to state (GPL?)

And another question i got, the way it is programmed now, does it need to be run from linux's X windows?
As the current Raspbian (weezy) X11 and the SDL inside of that does not support hardware acceleration at the moment..
but lots of stuff without it get compiled to support it allready.. yes it is kind of odd.. but i guess its harder work to get it done by the foundation.. or they got other priorities right now.

The game runs okay enough without acceleration.. but not perfect.. and i need to test it in a heatened battle still  :D

Stephen

The licence is GPL, yes.

The way Knights is programmed now, I believe it always uses X Windows.

I just looked into SDL (briefly) and it seems you can run it in a mode where it uses the Linux framebuffer directly, instead of using X11. I guess that is what you are talking about? I suppose we could make a version of Knights that does that, but I haven't looked into how difficult it would be or how long it would take. I imagine it would be relatively straightforward though.